A senator on Tuesday raised questions over the reported firing of a warning shot during last week’s shooting incident inside the Senate complex, saying accountability should be established if such an order had been given by Senate leadership.
Speaking to reporters in an ambush interview, Sen. Raffy Tulfo said Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano had already denied ordering the Senate Sergeant-at-Arms to fire a warning shot during the incident.
“Of course sabi naman ni Senate president na wala siyang binigay na utos na mag-warning shot,” he said.
The senator added that if such an instruction had indeed been issued, the principle of command responsibility could apply.
The lawmaker also pointed out that Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca, being a former police officer, should already be aware that firing warning shots is not part of the standard operating procedures (SOP) of the Philippine National Police (PNP).
“At saka alam ni sergeant-at-arms, he is a former policeman, na wala sa SOP ng PNP na mag-warning shot,” Tulfo said.
The remarks came amid continuing scrutiny over the May 13 shooting incident at the Senate complex, which triggered a lockdown and prompted investigations by multiple government agencies, including the Office of the Ombudsman.
Authorities are still conducting separate fact-finding investigations to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident and the actions taken by security personnel during the confrontation.
