Skip to content
No results
Screencap Media PHScreencap Media PH
  • News
    • Nation
    • Regions
    • Metro
  • World
  • Business & Finance
  • Opinion
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Special Reports
    • Advocacy
    • Features
    • Health & Wellness
Get Started

DATE
TIME
CITY Detecting...
WEATHER --
USD ₱-- EUR €-- JPY ¥-- BTC $--

Screencap Media PHScreencap Media PH
  • News
    • Nation
    • Metro
    • Regions
    • World
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
    • Innovation
  • Breaking News
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
    • Culture
    • Health & Wellness
    • Travel
    • Motoring
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Receipts Don’t Lie
  • Special Reports
  • VIDEOS
Screencap Media PHScreencap Media PHScreencap Media PH

Palace Denies Senate Was Under Siege

  • Jade Reyes
  • Nation
  • May 18, 2026
  • No Comments

Malacañang on Monday rejected claims that the Senate was placed under siege during last week’s shooting incident, saying government agencies never described the chamber as being under attack.

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said reports from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), the Philippine National Police (PNP), and media accounts did not support claims that an assault on the Senate took place.

“Senate siege? Was it under attack? It was not, the Senate was not under attack. You can see that from the news, not only from the statements of the NBI and PNP. It was only the statement made by Senator Alan Cayetano. So, as far as we are concerned, as far as the government is concerned, the Senate was never under attack,” Castro said.

Castro said NBI agents were at the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) building, where the Senate is also located, but did not serve the arrest warrant against Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa out of respect for the Senate and pending proceedings before the Supreme Court.

She said the issue was not whether the NBI failed to act, but whether the Senate was right to interfere with the service of the warrant.

“Dito makikita ninyo kung sino ang may respeto sa isang institusyon at sino ang hindi rumespeto sa batas,” Castro said.

Tension erupted at the Senate on May 13 after gunshots were heard while Dela Rosa was under Senate protective custody in connection with an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court over the Duterte administration’s drug war.

Dela Rosa left the Senate premises before dawn the following day.

Asked about allegations that the incident was staged or scripted, Castro said Malacañang would not draw conclusions while investigations are still ongoing.

She urged the public to rely only on verified information and be more discerning about reports surrounding the incident.

Malacañang also said it respects the Office of the Ombudsman’s six-month suspension order against Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca, who reportedly fired a shot inside the Senate building.

Castro added that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. appeared disappointed over the developments, particularly Dela Rosa’s departure despite being under protective custody.

“Sa huling pangyayari patungkol doon sa diumano na pagtakas at pagkawala kahit na may protective custody ang Senado, nakakadismaya naman talaga,” she said.

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
Reddit
PrevPreviousHouse Opens Inquiry Into Luzon-Visayas Grid Disruption
NextSenate Formally Opens VP Duterte Impeachment TrialNext

Leave a ReplyCancel Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nation

De Lima, Diokno, Cendaña Hit Back at ‘Harassment’ Complaint by Duterte Camp

  • Esther Salem
  • May 15, 2026

Three lawmakers from the House...

Regions

AFP Chief Rallies Special Forces to Stay Loyal to the Constitution

  • Peter Fernandez
  • May 15, 2026

Armed Forces of the Philippines...

Nation

Remulla: CIDG to Summon Bato Over Alleged Davao EJKs

  • Peter Fernandez
  • May 10, 2026

The Philippine National Police’s Criminal...

Nation

Multinational Forces Test Defensive Readiness in Balikatan 2026 Counter-landing Training

  • Peter Fernandez
  • April 28, 2026

More than 500 troops from...

Nation

House to Push Measures Protecting Workers’ Dignity, Welfare

  • Esther Salem
  • May 1, 2026

Filipino workers both in the...

Regions

Indian National Nabbed in P850K Cigarette Smuggling Sting

  • Peter Fernandez
  • May 13, 2026

The Philippine National Police (PNP)...

Breaking News

Leviste Facebook Post Using Apparently AI-Generated Photo Draws Ridicule

  • Screencap Media
  • May 3, 2026

Rep. Leandro Legarda Leviste drew...

Nation

Palace Seeks Urgent Passage of UPLIFT Bill to Tap Budget Savings Amid Energy Crisis

  • Jade Reyes
  • April 28, 2026

Malacañang is seeking the immediate...

Follow us:

Facebook Instagram X-twitter Tiktok

ABOUT

In everyday life, taking a screencap is the fastest way to share stories, proof, and receipts with friends. It is a habit, a reflex, and now, our approach to journalism.

Quick links

  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertising
  • Careers
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertising
  • Careers

Contact

  • Submit a News Tip
  • Member Services
  • Advertise with Us
  • Community Network
  • Submit a News Tip
  • Member Services
  • Advertise with Us
  • Community Network

© 2026, SCREENCAP ® | All rights reserved.

  • Terms and Condition
  • Privacy Policy