Members of the Senate minority bloc on Wednesday pushed back against insinuations linking them to the May 13 chaos inside the Senate building, calling such claims speculative and unsupported by evidence.
During a manifestation on the Senate floor, Senator Erwin Tulfo described the incident as “deeply alarming,” saying multiple and conflicting narratives surrounding the shooting incident should be clarified by proper authorities.
“Statements were made that the Senate was under attack, while the Executive denies any offensive operation,” Tulfo said.
“Some claim the tension was triggered by recent changes in Senate leadership. There are allegations involving the OSAA, the NBI, and even speculation that the shooting itself was a smokescreen to facilitate an escape or create confusion,” he added.
Tulfo, however, objected to what he described as attempts to implicate minority senators simply because some of them had already left the Senate premises before the incident erupted.
He revealed that senators were initially informed of an all-senators caucus, but the meeting was later changed into a majority-only caucus at around 5:20 pm on the day of the incident.
Tulfo said it was only natural for senators excluded from internal discussions to leave and attend to other matters.
“To suggest that the mere fact that some senators had already left the premises means they were responsible for what later transpired is speculative, irresponsible, and unsupported by evidence,” he said.
The senator also appealed against making Senate employees and staff “collateral damage” in the controversy, noting many of them remained inside the complex even after work hours.
Meanwhile, Senator Risa Hontiveros expressed frustration over what she described as the seeming lack of institutional response a week after the shooting incident.
“Parang walang nangyari,” Hontiveros said in a privilege speech, lamenting that the matter appeared to be unfolding more through press conferences, livestreams, and interviews rather than through formal institutional action.
“Hindi maliit na bagay ang nangyari dito,” she said.
The senator questioned whether political divisions had already eroded standards of respect and collegiality within the Senate.
Senator Pia Cayetano later became emotional while responding to Hontiveros’ remarks, saying those who were no longer inside the Senate during the incident could not fully understand what those present had experienced.
“Siguro para sa inyo na wala rito, pero para sa amin ay napakaraming nangyari,” Cayetano said.
She recalled fearing for her safety during the chaos and even preparing herself emotionally for the possibility that something worse could happen.
Cayetano also expressed disappointment that some former allies who are now part of the minority allegedly failed to check on senators who remained inside the building during the incident.
“Napakasakit nun sa akin,” she said.
Hontiveros later clarified that her earlier statement was not meant to dismiss the emotions of her colleagues, but to highlight what she viewed as the lack of institutional action following the incident.
“Our grief as senators is valid, but our mandate requires action,” Hontiveros said.
