A senator on Tuesday urged fellow lawmakers to set aside discussions about a possible leadership takeover in the Senate and instead focus on legislative work and the upcoming impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte.
Speaking to reporters before the plenary session, Senator Raffy Tulfo said the narrow gap between the Senate majority and minority blocs should not distract lawmakers from their responsibilities.
“Tulad ng sabi ng lahat manipis, then 11 ang minority pero para mas maganda, mag-trabaho na muna kaming lahat saka na namin pag-usapan yung coup na yan,” he said.
The senator disclosed that members of the minority bloc held a caucus earlier in the day to discuss recent developments in the Senate and their planned approach to the Articles of Impeachment filed against Duterte.
According to the lawmaker, discussions centered on studying the impeachment complaint, preparing strategies for deliberations, and reviewing committee assignments within the chamber.
He also confirmed that the recent Senate leadership changes resulted in his removal as chairman of the Committee on Public Services, a position now set to be handled by Senator Rodante Marcoleta.
Tulfo said he had already written to Marcoleta requesting appointment as a subcommittee chairman so he could continue working on pending measures he initiated during his tenure as committee head.
“But it’s up to him, choice niya yun and I will respect it,” the solon added.
Meanwhile, Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano acknowledged the growing workload facing the Senate as it prepares to issue the writ of summons related to the impeachment proceedings.
“There’s so much going on. Yung mga subpoenas, we have to issue the summons,” Cayetano said, noting that Senate personnel are working under tight schedules because of the volume of tasks that need to be completed.
