Malacañang on Monday said it will not interfere in the Senate impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte, stressing that the proceedings fall under the chamber’s constitutional mandate.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the Executive branch would respect the separation of powers as the Senate convenes as an impeachment court to hear the case against Duterte.
The Vice President was impeached by the House of Representatives last week over allegations involving alleged misuse of confidential funds, unexplained wealth, betrayal of public trust, and threats against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos, and former Speaker Ferdinand Martin Romualdez.
The Senate, now led by Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano, received the Articles of Impeachment last week.
Asked whether senators could serve credibly as impeachment judges despite pending cases against some of them, Castro said Malacañang would not prejudge the members of the Senate.
She said the matter rests with the senators themselves but reminded them that they were elected to serve the public.
“Tandaan lamang po nila na sila ay halal ng bayan. Noong sila ay nangangampanya nangako sila na sila ay magsisilbi para sa taumbayan, hindi para sa iisang tao lamang,” Castro said.
She also warned public officials not to become instruments for anyone seeking to avoid accountability.
“Huwag silang magsilbi, katulad ng sinabi natin, na maging daan para sa pagtakas ng dapat na managot,” she added.
