President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has appointed Budget Undersecretary Kim Robert De Leon as the new secretary of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), making him one of the youngest members of the Marcos Cabinet, while outgoing acting secretary Rolando Toledo moves to the Government Service Insurance System Board of Trustees.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced on Monday that De Leon, who is in his mid-30s, will formally take his oath on Tuesday.
Castro described De Leon as a career public servant known for his work in fiscal management, organizational reform, and digital transformation within government.
Before his appointment, De Leon oversaw the Organization and Systems Improvement Group and the Information and Communications Technology Group at the DBM.
He previously served as undersecretary for administration and finance at the Department of Transportation and also held leadership roles in the Boy Scouts of the Philippines, including as secretary general and assistant national treasurer.
Castro highlighted De Leon’s academic background, saying he graduated magna cum laude and valedictorian from the University of the Philippines-National College of Public Administration and Governance.
She added that he also holds master’s degrees in urban and regional planning and public safety administration, along with a certificate in business process management from the Queensland University of Technology under the Australia Awards scholarship program.
At the same time, Malacañang confirmed that former acting DBM secretary Rolando Toledo has been appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), where he will represent associations of government employees and retirees.
Toledo first joined the DBM in 1987 as a budget analyst and rose through the ranks over nearly four decades in government service, serving as bureau director, assistant secretary, undersecretary, and eventually acting secretary in December 2025.
In a statement, Toledo said he respected the President’s decision and pledged support for the department’s new leadership.
“I serve at the pleasure of the President, and I fully respect the wisdom of his decisions,” Toledo said.
“As I transition from this role, I extend my wholehearted support to the new DBM Secretary and remain confident in the Department’s continued pursuit of sound, transparent, and people-centered governance,” he added.
Toledo also thanked the administration for the opportunity to lead the budget department and said his commitment to public service remains unchanged after 38 years in government.
“Rest assured that my commitment to serve our country and the Filipino people, which I have upheld for more than 38 years in public service, remains unchanged. That commitment will continue wherever I may be called to serve,” he said.
Meanwhile, Castro dismissed speculation that Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla was on his way out of the Department of the Interior and Local Government amid rumors that former DILG secretary Benhur Abalos and former senator Antonio Trillanes IV were being considered for the post.
Castro said she had seen no indication that the President had lost confidence in Remulla despite recent law enforcement controversies, including developments involving former lawmaker Zaldy Co and Senator Ronald Dela Rosa.
