The Philippine National Police (PNP) has urged suspended Senate Sergeant-at-Arms retired Maj. Gen. Mao Aplasca to surrender his firearm and comply with investigators as authorities continue probing the May 13 gun-related incident inside the Senate complex.
PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said cooperation from all parties is necessary to establish the truth behind the incident and ensure transparency in the ongoing investigation.
“The Philippine National Police remains steadfast in its pursuit of the truth behind the Senate incident,” Nartatez said.
“We appeal to all parties involved, particularly General Aplasca, to demonstrate full transparency and cooperate with the ongoing legal processes,” he added.
Aplasca earlier failed to appear before the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) and also declined to surrender his firearm for ballistic examination.
The suspended Senate security chief previously admitted firing a warning shot during the incident, which is now under investigation by both the PNP and the Department of Justice (DOJ).
The Office of the Ombudsman has also placed Aplasca under six months preventive suspension pending the outcome of the probe.
Investigators said CCTV footage from the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) building in Pasay City suggested Aplasca may have fired first after allegedly mistaking National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) personnel for agents attempting to arrest Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa.
Ballistics examination conducted by authorities indicated that four firearms were used during the incident, with investigators recovering 44 fired shell casings from the scene.
Authorities identified three firearms allegedly used by Office of the Senate Sergeant-at-Arms personnel Charlie Dumlao Montilla and Joemil Salazar Ledesma, as well as NBI Senior Agent Darwin Nicomedes Francisco.
However, investigators said 23 spent shell casings believed to have come from a fourth firearm remain unmatched, making Aplasca’s firearm a key piece of evidence in reconstructing the sequence of events.
The refusal to surrender the weapon prompted the PNP chief to direct investigators to intensify follow-up actions, including renewed efforts to serve official summons and secure compliance.
“The voluntary surrender of all relevant evidence, including the firearm in question, is a crucial step in upholding the rule of law and ensuring that the public receives the honest answers they deserve,” Nartatez said.
He also stressed that no individual should place personal reservations above the integrity of the investigation.
“We urge General Aplasca to set aside personal hesitation and prioritize the integrity of this investigation, as no one is above the mandate of establishing the facts for the sake of our national security and peace,” he added.
