Skip to content
No results
Screencap Media PHScreencap Media PH
  • News
    • Nation
    • Regions
    • Metro
  • World
  • Business & Finance
  • Opinion
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Special Reports
    • Advocacy
    • Features
    • Health & Wellness
Get Started

DATE
TIME
CITY Detecting...
WEATHER --
USD ₱-- EUR €-- JPY ¥-- BTC $--

Screencap Media PHScreencap Media PH
  • News
    • Nation
    • Metro
    • Regions
    • World
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
    • Innovation
  • Breaking News
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
    • Culture
    • Health & Wellness
    • Travel
    • Motoring
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Receipts Don’t Lie
  • Special Reports
  • VIDEOS
Screencap Media PHScreencap Media PHScreencap Media PH

Ombudsman Says Guteza Recantation Won’t Derail Probe; 28 Witnesses Remain

  • Alex Galang
  • Nation
  • August 20, 2026

The Office of the Ombudsman declared Thursday that the recantation of retired Marine personnel Orly Guteza will not hinder its ongoing investigation into the alleged flood control kickback scheme involving former House Speaker Martin Romualdez, emphasizing that 28 other witnesses remain ready to provide direct testimony.

The anti-graft body stressed that its case does not depend on any single witness and that investigators have assembled evidence from multiple sources regarding the charges against Romualdez and other co-respondents.

“The Office of the Ombudsman is informing [the public] that it has 28 witnesses ready to provide direct and material knowledge regarding the transactions being investigated in the case involving former Speaker Martin Romualdez,” the agency stated.

According to the Ombudsman, the 28 witnesses are active uniformed personnel who are currently participating in official legal proceedings.

The agency’s statement follows Guteza’s execution of an affidavit retracting his prior claims that he personally delivered cash-filled suitcases to Romualdez’s residence. Guteza, a former security detail for ex-Ako Bicol Rep. Zaldy Co, also accused Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former Rep. Mike Defensor of conspiring to organize and promote the allegations.

Dismissing the development, the anti-graft body noted that reversals by key witnesses are common in high-profile corruption cases and described the move as a pressure tactic.

“Recantations in high-profile cases are nothing new,” the anti-graft body said in Filipino. “This is a classic pressure tactic.”

The office also issued a stern warning to individuals involved in the case against attempting to interfere with the proceedings.

“For everyone who has been, or will be, undergoing legal process, cooperation is not a choice. It is an obligation under the law. Anyone who dares to obstruct, interfere with, or disrupt the Ombudsman’s proceedings will face the full force of the law,” it stated.

Reaffirming its commitment to the case, the Ombudsman added, “the search for the truth will not stop, even if some people are still unwilling to speak.”

Ombudsman investigators previously filed a supplemental complaint-affidavit on July 20 charging Romualdez, Co, and several co-accused with plunder, direct bribery, graft and corruption and money laundering.

Investigators allege that Romualdez and Co executed “concerted and coordinated acts” to unlawfully accumulate approximately P56 billion in ill-gotten wealth between 2022 and 2025. The scheme allegedly involved delivering massive cash payments in luggage, according to initial testimonies from Guteza and other witnesses.

While three individuals known as the “maleta boys” have also recanted their earlier statements, the Ombudsman maintained that the withdrawals will not stop its inquiry into the alleged multi-billion-peso scheme.

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
Reddit
PrevPreviousThe ‘CasiOak’ Gets a More Refined All-Black Look
NextBIR Files P2.228-B Tax Evasion Complaint vs Hongsheng GamingNext
Nation

House Prosecutors: Impeachment Case Anchored on Public Interest, Not Politics

  • Esther Salem
  • June 16, 2026

House prosecutors emphasized that the...

Breaking News

Trillanes Claims ICC Warrant Out Against Bato as ex-PNP Chief Resurfaces in the Senate

  • Joseph Tan
  • May 11, 2026

Former senator Antonio Trillanes IV...

Nation

Solon to Duterte: Answer Impeachment Charges, Stop Attacking Lawmakers

  • Esther Salem
  • May 8, 2026

Deputy Speaker Paolo Ortega V...

Nation

From Bloc Rumors to ‘Mahal Kita’: Sen. Lapid Lightens Senate Session

  • Joseph Tan
  • May 26, 2026

A day after heated debates...

Nation

Senate Bill Seeks to Name Waling-waling as National Orchid of the Philippines

  • Esther Salem
  • May 8, 2026

A bill seeking to declare...

Nation

Six Minors Rescued in Manila OSAEC Operation

  • Peter Fernandez
  • May 26, 2026

Six minors were rescued and...

Nation

House Prosecution: Produce Mary Grace Piattos and Kokoy Villamin Amid Confidential Funds Probe

  • Esther Salem
  • June 19, 2026

House prosecution spokesperson and Lanao...

Metro

LGUs Urged to Tighten Fire Safety Checks

  • Joseph Tan
  • May 31, 2026

Local governments, fire officials, and...

Follow us:

Facebook Instagram X-twitter Tiktok

ABOUT

In everyday life, taking a screencap is the fastest way to share stories, proof, and receipts with friends. It is a habit, a reflex, and now, our approach to journalism.

Quick links

  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertising
  • Careers
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertising
  • Careers

Contact

  • Submit a News Tip
  • Member Services
  • Advertise with Us
  • Community Network
  • Submit a News Tip
  • Member Services
  • Advertise with Us
  • Community Network

© 2026, SCREENCAP ® | All rights reserved.

  • Terms and Condition
  • Privacy Policy