Public concerns over the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Z. Duterte have deepened following the change in Senate leadership, amid fears that the new majority could delay the proceedings, weaken the case, or influence the trial toward acquittal, a House lawmaker warned over the weekend.
Kabataan Party-list Rep. Renee Co, a member of the House Committee on Justice, said many Filipinos are no longer merely asking whether the Senate will convene as an impeachment court, but whether the proceedings will be allowed to run fully, fairly, and without procedural moves that may favor Duterte.
“May bahagi na ’yun yung agam-agam ng mamamayang Pilipino, kasi ano bang mga effects ng pagpalit ng Senate leadership, may nakita akong tatlo possibly. Lalo na’t yung bagong majority publicly aligned with VP Sara Duterte and publicly during the 19th Congress nagpasa ng mga motion para ipatigil ‘yung mismo trial proper, whether that’s motion to dismiss or motion na pagbotohan natin kung magko-convene ba tayo as an impeachment court anyway,” Co said during the Saturday News Forum at Dapo Restaurant in Quezon City.
Co said the first concern is possible delay, particularly if senators again debate the meaning of “forthwith” and question how quickly the chamber must act on the Articles of Impeachment transmitted by the House.
“One, delay in the process. Yung reinterpretation ng word forthwith,” Co noted.
The second concern, she said, involves the conduct of the trial itself, where procedural votes may determine whether the impeachment court will accept or reject key evidence.
“Number two, ‘yung conduct of the trial itself. Ano bang nakita natin sa kasaysayan? Nakita natin di ba during the impeachment trial ni former President [Joseph] Estrada, nagkaroon ng discussion yung Senate kung bubuksan ba nila yung envelope that contains evidence na ikukonsidera sana ng impeachment court para masabing guilty or not sa impeachable offense si former President Estrada,” Co said.
She said many Filipinos worry that a similar evidence-related maneuver could arise in Duterte’s trial if the Senate majority chooses to shield the Vice President.
“Will we see the same for this trial? Sana naman hindi,” she added.
Co said the third and strongest fear is the possibility of acquittal if Duterte secures enough support in the Senate despite the evidence presented by the House.
“Kaya ’yan ang iniisip ng mga mamamayang Pilipino and even yung number three, ‘yung resulta. Botohan, two-thirds yung kailangan, ilan ’yan, kung meron lang sapat na numero baka in the end ma-acquit si VP Sara,” Co warned.
She stressed that the House had already initiated the constitutional process and said the Senate must respect each step without twisting the law or rules to undermine the trial.
“So anyway, ang sa atin naman nagsimula na tayo ng proseso, galangin hanggang dulo at mangyayari yung bawat step of the process in a way na hindi binabali at binabaliktad yung batas at yung regulation,” Co emphasized.
Asked whether pro-Duterte senators may echo Duterte’s own dismissal of the impeachment case as baseless, Co said they could adopt different strategies, ranging from allowing the trial to proceed while maneuvering through motions, to blocking the proceedings outright.
“Baka may range of stances sila, meron diyan maghahawak ng position na dapat may trial pa ring tumuloy-tuloy kahit papaano, then sa loob puwedeng maniubrahin yung motions in a way favorable kay VP Sara. Meron namang poposisyon na hindi talaga gawin at all ang trial,” Co stated.
Co maintained that the Articles of Impeachment are grounded on public records and government documents, not speculation or fabricated claims.
“Pero ang sa atin naman ang klaro at every step of the way, public records yung hawak natin. Government documents ang hawak natin para masabi na may basehan na yung impeachment offenses na china-charge sa kanya dapat i-hash out to a full-blown trial,” she added.
The charges against Duterte include allegations involving confidential and intelligence funds, unexplained wealth, alleged bribery and threats. These were endorsed by the House Committee on Justice after proceedings that led to the approval of the Articles of Impeachment.
“So andyan yung confidential and intelligence funds, na ang COA na mismo naglabas ng mga desisyon and even desisyon sa apela ni VP at ng OVP na meron diyan na nahanap na hindi naaayon sa memorandum nila ‘yung paggasta at may inuutos na ibalik sa kaban ng bayan. Mayroon din yung unexplained wealth, yung P6.7B flagged by the AMLC na covered and suspicious transactions,” Co pointed out.
Co said the AMLC figure should not be dismissed because it came from official reporting systems authorized to flag covered and suspicious transactions.
“Malaki iyon, hindi patumpik-tumpik at hindi kung saan-saan nahugot na numero, and actually empowered yung AMLC na i-receive from the banks themselves na sila nagreport na fina-flag nila yung ganitong klaseng transactions,” Co stressed.
She also cited Duterte’s alleged public threats, saying such statements are alarming and should be tested in a full impeachment trial.
“And even yung outright statements sinasabi sa mamamayan, papatay siya ng tao. Nakaka-alarma yun di ba?” Co added.
Co expressed confidence that the House record can withstand attempts to dismiss the impeachment case as baseless, saying the evidence passed through the committee process before being submitted for trial in the Senate.
“So, ’yan lahat public records ’yan. Dumaan sa mahabang proseso para sumunod sa rules of evidence na maisumite sa House Committee on Justice and sa Senate to convene as an impeachment court,” Co said.
She said attacks against the impeachment case are expected, but maintained that the record is strong enough to answer claims that the charges have no basis.
“May mga magsasabi ng ganyan pero confident tayo na dumaan sa proseso na hindi masasabi at maibabato yung ganung akusasyon,” Co stated.
